So… You’ve lost your job.. now what? I suggest saving this post as a guide, just incase.
First of all, try not to panic. You will survive and everything happens for a reason. This doesn’t make it any less sucky, but recognize that panicking & fighting against what is done will not help the situation.
The best thing to do is be pro-active. Prepare for job loss, before it even happens.
- This is obvious, but have an emergency fund of AT LEAST 3 months of expenses, so that you aren’t screwed if you can’t find a new job right away, or don’t want to.
- Write a backup plan & keep it somewhere safe, I have a Google doc. List things you can cut back on to limit your expenses as much as possible, write down other potential employers, write down things you would be willing to sell if you had to pay your rent, etc. If you have a side hustle, use this as an opportunity to kick it into gear.
- Follow through on your back up plan, start cutting expenses (ex. stop eating out, get rid of Netflix, cancel all travel, etc.), start selling items online, and update your resume & start submitting it to other businesses.
- Apply for unemployment. I know each country & state has a different site/place to go to do this. I suggest Googling what you need to do for where you live.
If you do not have an emergency fund or backup plan, start one right away. Even after you lose your job you can start brainstorming what expenses you can cut by looking at your online banking (My post on how to drastically cut your spending), you can start posting stuff for sale, you can update your resume, etc. You are not helpless, take some control back.
Most successful business people have a story of how they were laid off or fired, and used it as an opportunity to work on their own business. You could be one of those people. Again, trust that everything happens for a reason. In my post, The Power of Manifestation, I explain how I have gotten so distraught when things weren’t working out how I planned or wanted, but something bigger & better always came along afterwards. Always. It just takes time. There will come a day where you will be thankful you lost that job, whether it was your choice or not.
I know this is a shorter post, but I want to keep it simple & straightforward like usual.
Thanks for reading! I know everything will work out & you will understand why this had to happen one day.
- ThriftBooks -I LOVE them as a company & order all of my books from them now! They ship super fast, great service, books always show up as described, super cheap, & good for the planet because they’re second-hand, but you get to choose the quality!
- BetterHelp -A week of Therapy for FREE!
- Betterment -Invest your first $5,000 for FREE!
- Back Market -My referral code: 6888f588d6f85083 -$10 off your order! Refurbished Tech! My sister & I both got “new” phones from there. They’re awesome, great quality, so much cheaper than buying new (by up to 70%), came super fast, was super easy to buy, AND we saved 123 pounds of carbon emissions, each!